Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Name That Smell

Mom, my toenails smell like Cheetos.... Mom, the baby's toy smells like mushrooms.... These are two of the latest "smells like" situations we've had. There are probably many more, it's just that no one has taken the time to smell them. 

All of this has given me pause to reflect on the issue of what is clean and how important is it? Just this week, the news reported that the products used to make babies smell like babies (not mushrooms) are potentially dangerous. The comment I particularly liked was, "We don't think a chemical build up in anyone's urine is a good thing." So now, all those times that I was planning to give our baby a bath but never got around to it, seem rather fortuitous. Clean was overrated. Likewise, a germ free house. Earlier this year, I heard that kids are more prone to allergies and asthma if they are not exposed to germs. That's a good news/bad news situation. None of my kids has allergies, but what does that say about the house? How deep does their resistance go? The bright side is that perhaps they could go to a Third World country.... and drink the water.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

audible laughs!!! and this was only your first official blog entry. nice!

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you. You're out on the web.

Emma said...

hey mom,
where do you get the ideas for what you write about? i was so used to eli smelling his toenails, that i wouldn't really think to put it in a blog....

TracyD said...

Marty, Pete sent me your blog address so I could check it out, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! (I'm his sister #2, in case you don't remember) So many blogs are just self-important people sharing their so-called brilliance, but yours was delightful -- well-written, funny, humble and true! Keep writing! By the way, I too boast allergy-free children (6 of them) -- because I ate most of what they told me not to when I was pregnant, I bathe them weekly (usually) whether they need it or not (we used to have a dog, and he took care of what I didn't), we have pets, and ultra-clean houses intimidate me. Glad to know I'm not the only REAL health nut out there! How's your running going? Mine's sporadic at best -- I'm hoping for warmer weather! Take care,
Tracy