Thursday, February 7, 2008

Are Wildberry Poptarts a Fruit?

I used to be quite familiar with health food stores. I knew where to find what I needed and what the things in the bins were that I didn't need. I was following a recipe garnered from some recently issued magazine like "Cooking Light." Ten ingredients? No problem. Ten ingredients, 45 minute prep time, 3 servings? Didn't bat an eye. 
I was in a health food store last week. The first thing my kids and I found was the bakery. I asked my son to get a chocolate chip cookie for me. "This one?" he said, pointing to a gluten free cookie. "No, the one below it." "Oh, this one?" "No," I responded. "That one is fat free. Mommy is pointing to the one with all the chunks sticking out of it." After successfully selecting the cookie of the day, we headed to the "bins." The bins are another name for a whole bunch of grainy, nutty, dried, leafy collections in plastic containers. However, there is a shining star amidst the wheat free organic nonprocessed whole grain fig bars. Its name is Malt Balls. They are the biggest malt balls I have ever seen. One could almost imagine a round of golf with them. They do not seem to fit in with their neighbors (carob raisins and sunflower trail mix.) But they are glorious, and we buy them. 
At the checkout line, my baby begins to chew through the plastic wrap that surrounds my cookie. I look in our cart and assess the absence: absence of nutrition, absence of the food pyramid, absence of anything but dessert. The child in the cart behind us is eating an unpeeled organic carrot. His mother is buying an organic free range chicken and bread that required the better part of an acre of grain to make. I sigh. I remember my days of starting a meal with ingredients whose most recent memory was a garden. Now I wonder. Are Wildberry Poptarts ever organic and do they count as a fruit?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well on your way to that Book!

The Beginning Farmer's Wife said...

Yea Marty!!! I am soooo excited that you have a blog! I can't wait to watch your life from Iowa. :)

Don't worry, if this land thing works out, we will GIVE you a free range-non medicated-naturally and humanely raised chicken. And I'll make you a loaf of bread with freshly milled grain, thanks to my grain mill Christmas/birthday present from Ethan. The only catch is that you will have to get me a box of those wildberry poptarts!

Jenna said...

does "snot coming out of my nose" tell you enough about my enjoyment of this post? to all the mothers (who are probably referred to by their first names by their hippie children)who give their children "unpeeled organic carrots" in the check out...thank you...you made this post possible

Emma said...

hey mom!
that was really funny! :) yeah. yup. ok, gonna go read your other one....

Jenny said...

I'm with Joel. Ya have a gift.