Monday, February 11, 2008

Innocence Lost

Who knew the shark video from the library should have had a rating, an "explicit content" sticker, a giant head with a bigger mouth saying, "Not appropriate for your children."

It's been way below zero here for a really long time. Eventually, I will probably start showing full length movies during morning play break but for now, I am still doing documentaries. Maybe it's that I feel like I am still doing school when animals are being filmed and educationally spoken of. That's in contrast to trying to make, say, a study guide for "Finding Nemo. A lot of my opinions changed though, this morning. 

I got off the treadmill. I had been listening to John Piper on Romans 9. My head was filled with thoughts of election, sovereignty, irresistible grace. I walked into the room where my kids were watching the shark documentary I had checked out from the library and instructed them to watch. I came in at this part: 

"The male shark finally manages to get a hold of the female's gills. As he grabs onto them, he lacerates them, causing her to lie still. The male now brutally and violently implants himself in the female. Finally finished, he swims away while she lies exhausted and injured." 

There is plenty of photography to accompany this statement. The photographer/sicko remarks on the rarity of such close footage of this sort of behavior. I am catatonic. "What are they doing, Mom?" awakens me out of my stupor, not to give an answer but simply to say, "Wow. Who's ready to go upstairs?"

The forecast for tomorrow is 8 degrees. It's time to go outside to play. I think it is still too cold for the deer to be making plans.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Speechless. Wow. Wow.

Jenny said...

Great blog, Marty! You are hilarious!

Jenna said...

okay...i just subscribed to your blog. my first-ever blog subscription! love it!

Unknown said...

Unbelieveable! Can we look for an aquarium somewhere in Clearwater to see that up close and personal? Unfortunately female shark can't say, back..back..back.. You just saved yourself an awkward "talk" with your adolescent children because that pretty much sums it all up! Rejoice! --Debbie

Lis said...

Oh my.

So glad you're blogging! Isn't it fun :)

tiffany said...

you are hilarious! i love it!

Waldemar Family said...

Way to go, Marty. You ARE the quintessential blogger. You make me laugh.

Love,
B

Emma said...

Wow, you are such a responsible mother! I just love that you made sure to watch the movie before you let your children, to make sure that the movie was appropriate. Way to go!
just kidding!
love ya!
-your daughter